After two long months, JR CrossFit is officially reopening on May 18th! On Monday, we will welcome back our athletes for in-person workouts, but with a few changes to keep everyone safe. Here’s everything you need to know.
Throughout the shutdown, we’ve been working hard to both make improvements to the box and ensure everything is clean and sanitized for reopening. Leading up to Monday’s official reopening, we are deep cleaning and sanitizing everything to ensure the safety of our athletes and coaches.
The second phase of our reopening process begins on May 18, at which point we will welcome our athletes back to the box for in-person workouts. There are a few things that will be different when we reopen. This won’t just be a return to normal. Instead, we’re adapting to the ongoing coronavirus pandemic and implementing some changes and policies.
When we reopen on Monday, we know that everyone will want to give each other hugs and high fives, but unfortunately this sort of contact simply can’t happen if we want to reopen safely. Social distancing plays a key part in slowing the spread of COVID-19, and we have to follow that guidance to protect our athletes, coaches, and community.
Other things you can do to protect yourself and everyone else:
- Wash your hands: This seems obvious, but washing your hands before and after the WOD will go a long way in protecting everyone. There’s is soap and paper towels in the bathrooms, and hand sanitizer at the Pro Shop desk.
- Sign in and enter results into Wodify from your phone: This will significantly reduce the number of people touching the computers every day.
- Avoid handshakes/high-fives/etc
- Avoid touching your face at all
Athletes will be able to choose between working out indoors or outdoors, and we’ll have the bay doors open to ensure proper air circulation and give us enough space to practice social distancing. And if you want to continue working out at home, we will make Zoom and at-home workouts available as well. As always, our goal is to help all of our athletes stay active and engaged, whether it’s in the box or from home.
Other policies that will be in place:
- The class schedule will also be slightly more spread out, with 10-minute gaps between classes. This will avoid large gatherings and give coaches time to sanitize equipment
- Coaches will wear masks and any other personal protective equipment that’s deemed necessary, athletes may do the same
- All doors will be kept open to prevent repeated surface contact
- Class sizes will be capped in order to leave room for social distancing
- Athletes encouraged to check in from their phone, kiosks shut down to avoid repeated contact
- Coaches will not use any tactile cues or make any contact with athletes
- No towels will be provided
- Antibacterial wipes will be provided for athletes to use after every class
JR CrossFit has always been known as the cleanest gym in town, and we’re taking things to the next level. After every class, our coaches will be spraying all of the equipment down. We’re also increasing the number of times we clean the floors. With these efforts, combined with athletes wiping down equipment after every workout, it’s likely that the gym is cleaner than your house.
Going forward, we remain flexible. We’re following all of the latest guidance from state and local officials, as well as the CDC. We’re standing by and ready to implement any new policies suggested by public health officials. And if there’s ever any doubt, we will always err on the conservative side.
We will also do everything we can to keep our members informed and in the loop. We’ll be in regular communication with everyone on the latest protocols, class schedules, and more. If the unfortunate situation arises where a coach or athlete tests positive for COVID-19, we will share that information as well.
JR CrossFit is no exception to everyone happening in society right now, and COVID-19 has forced us to adapt. And that’s okay! Our goals are unchanged: we want to help all of our athletes stay active and engaged, whether it’s in the box or from home. These new policies will help us do exactly that.
Finally, implementing these changes now is a compromise that we are happy to make. JR CrossFit plays an important role in the community, and we will do whatever we can to help slow the spread of COVID-19. We hope that opening with all of these new policies in place will help us offer in-person workouts, without jeopardizing anyone’s health.
We are so excited to welcome all of our athletes back to JR CrossFit on Monday, May 18 and we hope to see at the box soon. In the meantime, if you have any questions or concerns, don’t hesitate to reach out directly to Coach Jai or Coach Matt.